Thursday, July 17, 2014

GIRL POWER!

I am a feminist. No, I am not afraid to say that. I don't know why anyone would be afraid to say that, actually. Feminist are people who believe in the equality of all genders politically, economically, and socially. How is that bad? Contrary to the popular belief, you do not have to be a woman to be a feminist. If you support the equality of the sexes then you are in fact a feminist - even if you don't think so.

So many people have this misconception that feminist are people who hate men and want women to take over the world - so we can kill all the men in the planet. I am a female and I can assure you that I love men and would not ever want to do that. What feminist want to do is actually help the world. We want to create a society that gives equal rights to everyone.We want to be able to have a say in not only the world but ourselves. We want to make our own choices. Being a girl, it absolutely sucks being put down all the time because of my gender. Instead of saying things like "you can't do that because you are a girl" start saying "you can do that because you are a girl." It is the 21st century time to stop treating women like they are only here to cater to men's needs and let them live.

I know many may believe this is wrong because of traditions and/or religion. I believe in God and I believe her created men and women equal in his eyes. Neither are better nor stronger in any aspect to him. I am not saying that it is wrong for men to do things for women - as in, pay for her dinner or open her door - it is honestly not a bad thing it is considered quite gentlemanly and polite but it is not required at all.

Some of Pop Culture Icons who I consider feminist include: Beyoncé, Miley Cyrus, Cara Delevigne, and of course Spice Girls' Ginger Spice. These women stand up for who they are and don't hide it. Beyoncé has numerous songs about girl power and being a woman, such as: Run The World(Girls), Best Thing I Never Had, Grown Woman and ***Flawless. No matter how much Miley Cyrus is constantly critized for being a slut she still does her thing and doesn't let anyone tell her who she is and should be. Cara Delevigne is apart of the Free The Nipples Movement which basically says look we both have the same body part except for women have more breast tissue so stop calling us sluts for exposing it. And as of Ginger Spice, well this gif speaks for itself: 

Credit: Tumblr

All I'm saying is that we don't want to steal men's spotlight of being powerful and strong - we want to share it with them.

“Feminist: A person who believes in the social, political and economical equality of the sexes. ” - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie 





No comments:

Post a Comment